GAO finds Fraud and Deceit in Government Agencies!

gao

 

How Extensive Is fraud and illegal activities and How Can It Be Controlled…GAO is working on it.

GAO reported on the results of a statistical analysis of fraud and other illegal activities affecting 21 Federal agencies which was undertaken to respond to growing public concern over abuses and misuses of taxpayers’ money.

Thefts accounted for almost half of the fraud cases, and false statements accounted for another 25 percent. The rest of the cases covered a wide variety of fraudulent activities including extortion, forgery, kickbacks or bribes, and nonperformance of contract terms. Items were stolen from Government buildings and installations as well as contractor plants. False statements were made in obtaining Federal assistance or benefits under many different Federal programs. About 55 percent of the known fraud cases occurred in the civil agencies, and the remaining 45 percent occurred in defense agencies. However, the total cost of fraud will never be known because of the difficulty in estimating the monetary losses caused by undetected fraud. Federal employees discovered over one-third of the frauds during the course of their normal day-to-day activities. Another 20 percent were discovered through compliance or eligibility reviews. Individuals were prosecuted in only 11.7 percent of the cases in which suspects were identified. The most common administrative actions taken against Federal employees who committed fraud were the establishment of a formal loss recovery plan and dismissal. In cases involving non-Government organizations and individuals, there were attempts to recover the loss and the issuance of warning letters. The Department of Justice was successful in 95 percent of the cases that it prosecuted. However, the courts often suspended large portions of sentences or granted probation.

Sort By Title Sort By Topic
Improving Federal Management of Programs that Serve Tribes and Their Members — NEW Government Operations
U.S. Government’s Environmental Liability — NEW Government Operations
2020 Decennial Census — NEW Government Operations
Strategic Human Capital Management Government Operations
Managing Federal Real Property Government Operations
Funding the Nation’s Surface Transportation System Transportation
Modernizing the U.S. Financial Regulatory System and the Federal Role in Housing Finance Business Regulation and Consumer Protection
Restructuring the U.S. Postal Service to Achieve Sustainable Financial Viability Government Operations
Management of Federal Oil and Gas Resources Natural Resources and Environment
Limiting the Federal Government’s Fiscal Exposure by Better Managing Climate Change Risks Natural Resources and Environment
Improving the Management of IT Acquisitions and Operations Information Technology
DOD Supply Chain Management National Defense
DOD Weapon Systems Acquisition National Defense
DOD Financial Management Auditing and Financial Management
DOD Business Systems Modernization Information Technology
DOD Support Infrastructure Management National Defense
DOD Approach to Business Transformation National Defense
Ensuring the Security of Federal Information Systems and Cyber Critical Infrastructure and Protecting the Privacy of Personally Identifiable Information Information Security
Strengthening Department of Homeland Security Management Functions Homeland Security
Ensuring the Effective Protection of Technologies Critical to U.S. National Security Interests National Defense
Improving Federal Oversight of Food Safety Agriculture and Food
Protecting Public Health through Enhanced Oversight of Medical Products Health Care
Transforming EPA’s Process for Assessing and Controlling Toxic Chemicals Natural Resources and Environment
Mitigating Gaps in Weather Satellite Data Science and Technology
DOE’s Contract Management for the National Nuclear Security Administration and Office of Environmental Management Government Operations
NASA Acquisition Management Government Operations
DOD Contract Management National Defense
Enforcement of Tax Laws Tax Policy and Administration
Medicare Program Health Care
Medicaid Program Health Care
Improving and Modernizing Federal Disability Programs Government Operations
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation Insurance Programs Retirement Security
National Flood Insurance Program Business Regulation and Consumer Protection
Managing Risks and Improving VA Health Care Health Care

EDITOR’S NOTES:  We used to encourage our friends to watch late-night comedy shows, but now we suggest they watch other shows that aren’t trying to take away our Second Amendment Rights.

BLOG.JETSETTINGMAGAZINE.COM  FOR MORE NEWS NOW!Home of wolfnetnetnews

Share